Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Soothing the Heat with a Smoothie

It's hot in Chicago this week. REALLY hot and humid to boot. It's tough going and I've found myself being a little bit more cautious with what I'm eating, opting for lighter fare that won't hold me down.

I do love to make smoothies and came across a clipping from Real Simple (one of my fave magazines) a few months ago with some fabulous smoothie recipes. This Spiced Pumpkin Smoothie recipe is definitely worth sharing:







Ingredients

  • 1 cup ice
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • pinch of ground nutmeg

Directions

  1. Place the ice, milk, pumpkin puree, honey, and nutmeg in a blender.
  2. Blend until smooth and frothy.

4 comments:

  1. Try a Chocolate & Basil smoothie! So a surprisingly good combination!

    Cocoa powder and/or raw cacao powder
    basil leaves
    vanilla almond milk
    agave
    (I also include the following that you can't taste - I promise: avocado, spinach, flax seed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sounds delicious! I have got to buy some agave syrup - thanks for the suggestion Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try it! And I don't mean to brag, but I've been told I am an expert smoothie maker.(mainly by myself)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonno - I'm expecting a smoothie on my next LA visit!

    ReplyDelete